Author Clare Davidson has stopped by with a teaser and to chat about her new book Reaper's Rhythm!
"Charley’s lying on the bed, her blond hair fanned out over the pillow. Her arms are spread wide, palms up. Crimson blood drips from deep slashes on her wrists. Her blue eyes are open, staring at the ceiling. But they don't see. They're dull, empty. Dead. The room spins. My stomach lurches and bile rises up my throat. I swallow and clap my hand to my mouth. Sagging against the doorframe, I can’t tear my gaze from the single lock of hair resting over Charley’s porcelain cheek. What should I do? Charley would know what to do. As I stumble down the stairs, my mind clicks into gear. A scream rips out of my throat, eclipsing the pounding music. My foot slips on the beige carpet, sending me tumbling down the remaining stairs. My shoulder and back slam against the wall. I scramble to my feet, screaming, sobbing, then stagger into the hallway, colliding into a young man with the darkest eyes I’ve ever seen. My own force knocks me backwards. His strong grip clenches my arm, preventing me from falling. I try to scream again, but the sound is trapped within my constricting chest. My sister is dead. A stranger is in my house."
~ Interview with the Author ~
Welcome Claire! Can you tell us your main inspiration behind Reaper's Rhythm?
Reaper’s Rhythm originally started life as a mid-grade novel, which was written as a reaction to reading Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. I loved the book, thought it was easy to read and engaging. I could see why a mid-grade to YA audience would love it. However, I couldn’t help but notice it was partly made up of a series of random “monster of the moment” encounters, which had very little to do with the plot (it’s different in the film version).
I was on holiday and needed some “relaxing” writing, so set out to write my own mid-grade novel where every scene was relevant to the core plot.
Obviously, Reaper’s Rhythm has evolved a lot since then. It’s a lot darker than the original premise and definitely not aimed at a mid-grade audience.
Was self-publishing your first choice? What was the most nerve-wracking part of the process?
It was for Reaper’s Rhythm. After a lot of deliberation, I self-published my first novel, Trinity, last year. The original plan for that novel was to go the traditional route and I second-guessed myself every step of the way. With Reaper’s Rhythm, I never even considered going the traditional route. I think that’s because every reason why I self-published Trinity still stands.
The most nerve-wracking part of the process is letting my book fly and waiting for reader reviews/reactions to come in. Of course, I’d have that whichever way I published!
As a self-published author, did you choose to edit your novel yourself? What was the biggest change you made to the story and/or characters?
I do a few self-edit passes myself, but then I bring in the experts. Personally, I don’t think I could successfully self-edit my work, to a publishable standard. I’m too close and too critical. I need fresh eyes on the plot, to make sure it all works together and that there aren’t any gaping holes. I definitely need a new perspective at the end of the process, when it comes to proofreading. I’d recommend everyone works with an editor and a proofreader, if they can.
The biggest change I made was to the ending. Things originally happened quite differently to the published ending. Obviously, I can’t say any more without giving plot spolers.
Do you have any unusual writing habits that aide your process and/or character development?
I’ve started having reference pictures visible while writing. I never used to do that while I was writing fantasy, but I find it helps a lot for urban fantasy. Is that an unusual habit?
Is there one passage or scene from your novel that you are most fond of?
Several, but they would all include plot spoilers! I do love this short snippet between Kim and her best friend, Sophie, because it’s such a quiet character moment:
“It’s true, isn’t it?” I ask. “Charley’s dead.”Sophie squeezes my leg and gives me a small, understanding smile. My sobs grow stronger. She puts her ice-cream aside and shuffles beside me, draping her arm over my shoulders. She hugs me while I continue eating, her silence more supportive than Mum’s tears. Once I’ve finished, she relieves me of the empty tub and spoon but doesn’t leave my side. I huddle against her, sobbing, shaking, sniffing. Safe in her arms, my eyes grow heavy and I eventually sleep.
Thanks for inviting me over for a chat writing and Reaper’s Rhythm. It’s been fun.
Connect with the Author!
Purchase Links
US: Kindle / Paperback
UK:
Kindle
Paperback:
Amazon / Waterstone's
Claire also has a Giveaway for us!
Enter using the Rafflecopter widget below.
Giveaway is INTL!
Thanks for letting me come over for a chat :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the giveaway!
ReplyDelete