The Dreamers By Oliver Dahl
A YA Sci-fi Fantasy Novel
Sam Kullen is a Dreamer. This means that he can control and influence events on earth in his dreams. But first, he has to save the Dream Realm from an evil villain who wants total control. (Are there any OTHER kinds of villains?) To save the Dream Realm, Sam must work together with the Dreamers, save some territories, fulfill his destiny, and, ultimately, save the world. This means he has to fight in arenas, battle on mountains, and even destroy enemy buildings. Malfix (the villain) must be stopped at all costs... and Sam is ready.
Purchase your own copy on:
Born in 1998, Oliver Dahl is the oldest of five children and lives in Idaho. Previous to finishing middle school, The Dreamers had earned him the a spot as one of Idaho's Top 50 Idaho authors (2011). The title of Idaho's Student of the Year (2012) preceded both the publication of Dahl's second novel, The Nightmarers, and the completion of his freshman year of high school.
Oliver's books have spent time in the top percentages of books on Amazon.com. Authors like Brandon Mull, Obert Skye, and Richard Paul Evans own autographed copies and have expressed interest in The Dreamers. Dahl is also an awarded musician and engineer. In addition to these many accomplishments, Oliver has twice as many Oscars as Leonardo DiCaprio, and has won the Tour de France as many times as Lance Armstrong.
You can connect with Oliver on:
Welcome Oliver! Can you tell us your main inspiration behind this novel?
As funny as it sounds, the main inspiration for "The Dreamers" came from a dream. I dreamt that I (for whatever strange dream reasons) had been shot in my shin. When I woke up, there was a bruise exactly where I had been shot in the dream. This made me ask myself the wonderful "What If" question. What if there were a type of people that could live inside of their dreams? What if when these people got hurt in their dreams, they got hurt in real life? And these little questions just kind of expanded into what I now call "The Dreamers."
Was self-publishing your first choice? What was the most nerve wracking part of the process?
Originally I was planning on going through a traditional publisher. But as I discovered NaNoWriMo, and the prize that you got if you won, (a free proof copy of your book from CreateSpace) I realized that it would be easier to go through CS. As I did further research, I became more fond of the idea. Though I still do intend to traditionally publish eventually, (and become one of those "hybrid authors") self-publishing has been great for me. I gotta say that pushing that button that says "publish" is pretty nerve wracking. Knowing that on the other end of the button, your book is gonna be available worldwide within 24 hours after pushing that button is crazy. It's also one of the reasons I love self-publishing so much.
As a self-published author, did you choose to edit your novel yourself? What was the biggest change you made to the story and/or characters?
My father edited the book, mainly. My mother, and anyone reading over my shoulder pointed things out, as well. I fixed things, added details, read it aloud, and rewrote scenes throughout the entire editing process. The biggest changes came in to play during the scenes where Sam has to infiltrate a dam. I'm not gonna spoil anything (sorry/your welcome, depending on the kind of person you are) but pretty big changes helped make it more realistic, suspenseful, and just plain better in every way.
Do you have any unusual writing habits that aide your process and/or character development?
I don't. Mainly I like to give myself as few distractions as possible. I stock up on water bottles and snacks so that I don't have to worry about leaving my room to get something to eat/drink. I listen to instrumental music (Two Steps From Hell shout out!) so that my mind isn't busy singing along to lyrics in my head.
Is there one passage or scene from your novel that you are most fond of?
I always like to share the introduction. It really helps set the scene, and gives you just a glimpse into what Dreamers can do. Here it is:
~ EXCERPT ~
In the year 1910, March 31 to be exact, a relatively unknown author by the name of Edmund Huntle had a dream. Not an idea, nor a thought, but a night vision, a true dream.
This dream was so real, so vivid and clear, that he actually crossed over the boundary that separates our reality--earth--from where we go, or where our minds go, when we dream. A place he named the Dream Realm. In his dreams, he learned how one could control or influence events on earth by shaping those events in the Dream Realm.
Edmund Huntle traveled the world, publishing his findings in newspapers, magazines, and psychology journals. His articles were ignored and mocked by all but a select few. Those few, under the guidance and direction of Edmund Huntle, became the Dreamers.
This small group was made up of authors, artists, architects, engineers--brilliant creators with imaginations larger than what were previously thought possible. When they dreamed, whatever they dreamed became reality. With this new-found ability, they turned the impossible possible. They were changing the world for the better.
In April 1912, Edmund boarded a ship bound for America in search of more Dreamers. Four nights into the voyage, Edmund, quite by accident, dreamed the ship went down. That ship was the Titanic.
The details and events of that tragic voyage can be read about in history books, and even be seen in movies. Sadly, Edmund went down with the ship.
Due to the loss of Edmund, the Dreamers went underground. Several left the group completely, spooked by the possibilities that awaited in the Dream Realm.
Despite this tragedy, the Dreamers didn't give up. After much deliberation among them, they appointed another leader in 1914.
Once again, the Dreamers flourished in world rescue, daily, until the leader dreamed about a world war.
In the same year, his dream became true, just as Edmund Huntle before him. This "curse" plagued the leaders with a deadly grip. Up until the twenty-first century, leader after leader of the Dreamers thrived, then failed. Now, as times get more and more dire, the Dreamers are in need of more members.
That's where I come in.
~ GIVEAWAY ~
Enter using the Rafflecopter below!
There will be 3 Winners.
Giveaway is INTL. Only valid entries will apply.


I'm a big fan of Two Steps from Hell, as well! It's a great soundtrack for Devices of War! It's just awesome! It was nice to meet you! *grin*
ReplyDelete