Saturday, March 15, 2014

Mainstream-Mini Review: Redshirts by John Scalzi

Redshirts 
By John Scalzi
Published by TOR BOOKS

Ensign Andrew Dahl has just been assigned to the Universal Union Capital Ship Intrepid, flagship of the Universal Union since the year 2456. It’s a prestige posting, and Andrew is thrilled all the more to be assigned to the ship’s Xenobiology laboratory.

Life couldn’t be better…until Andrew begins to pick up on the fact that (1) every Away Mission involves some kind of lethal confrontation with alien forces, (2) the ship’s captain, its chief science officer, and the handsome Lieutenant Kerensky always survive these confrontations, and (3) at least one low-ranked crew member is, sadly, always killed.

Not surprisingly, a great deal of energy below decks is expended on avoiding, at all costs, being assigned to an Away Mission. Then Andrew stumbles on information that completely transforms his and his colleagues’ understanding of what the starship Intrepid really is…and offers them a crazy, high-risk chance to save their own lives.

~ MY REVIEW ~

This book is why I love being a shamelessly declared GEEK! I not only sought this book out, but enjoyed every inch of it in all its nerdy glory. Being a Treky myself, Redshirts called out to me in so many ways. I rarely laugh when reading a book, even one that is pointedly comedic. But, oh my, I laughed out loud and often, while reading this.
Scalzi has such a perfect writing style, which puts focus on all the things I love about science fiction. Whether you think of Redshirts as a blatant parody or merely a satirical look into Sci-fi's most expendable characters, you will find something to love about this book. 
Scalzi even goes as far as to point out commonly overlooked aspects of the Star Trek franchise: Why are there no restraints on the ship, to stop the crew from flailing about?
I found this plot to be original as well, with a great twist and fun, quirky characters. I would have enjoyed this story even if it was not centered around a Treky based universe. 
If you like sci-fi and a read that will satisfy your inner nerd to the fullest, go read Redshirts!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a link to your blog in your comment and I will be sure to show you some blog love as well!

Little Hyuts is an award free zone!
BIG thanks to everyone who has nominated and awarded me in the past, but I just don't have the time to pass them on to other deserving bloggers.