Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Justice: Deck of Lies, #1 Review

Justice: Deck of Lies, #1
By Jade Varden

Jade Varden is a teller of tales from Louisville, Kentucky. The Deck of Lies series is the first in several young adult series and stand-alone novels Jade will publish in 2012 and 2013.

A House of Cards...
When you build an entire life on a foundation of lies, it only takes one truth for the whole thing to come crashing down. I never invited the truth in. I never went searching for it. I never had any reason to suspect that the two people I loved most were dishonest with me every second of every day. 
I made one bad decision, and in a single day my entire world changed. If I'm ever going to discover the truth about myself and my parents, I have to trace all the lies back to their source. I have to try to find the truth that they're hiding.
The more I discover about myself, and my past, the more I realize that lies really are better than the truth. But now that I know the lies are all around me, I can't stop until I've discovered them all. I'll pull each lie away, one by one, and examine it to see what's underneath…until this house of cards crumbles into dust at my feet. 
I just hope I can survive the crash.

If you would like to know more about the author and her work, 
please visit her on:
The Deck of Lies Series is available @:
Amazon / Smashwords / B&N 

~ MY REVIEW ~

I have to admit, I had my reservations about this book before I began reading. I suppose I was expecting a typical story about a girl in search of herself and the truth behind her family. This book is NOT that simple. Jade Varden has created a story that is anything but. I was hooked after the first chapter!
This book is full of twists and turns. There is never a dull moment and Justice really keeps you guessing.
Rain is an amazing and well developed main character. The reader is able to connect with her and experience her emotions so well through out the story. You are really drawn into the story and her struggle to find the truth. As the mystery behind her family unfurled, I was not sure what to think. That is what is so great about Jade's writing. She is fresh, original and makes you think! 
I also enjoyed the fact that Rain does not give in to her new found lavish lifestyle. She holds on to the life shes always known. 
The only thing I did not agree with is Rain's choice of a boyfriend. She seemed to fall for Owen too easily. I really thought her relationship with River was blossoming, and then it came to a swift halt. I was admittedly, a little disappointed. 
Oh! And the situation with Tom was an excellent plot twist as well. A little predictable, but interesting all the same. Rain's whole family is intriguing. I can't wait to find out more about them and the secrets they are hiding.
Overall, this book was fantastic. The plot was intense and it moved along at a great pace.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a good mystery. Jade Varden is a very promising author and I can't wait to read the next book in this series!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a link to your blog in your comment and I will be sure to show you some blog love as well!

Little Hyuts is an award free zone!
BIG thanks to everyone who has nominated and awarded me in the past, but I just don't have the time to pass them on to other deserving bloggers.