Friday, April 20, 2012

'Ol Fashioned Molasses Cookies

Courtesy of Grandma Marjorie Thomas

These Molasses Cookies were from a recipe a friend's grandmother gave me before she passed away.
Their subtle spice and deliciously chewy center make these a favorite of mine year round. 

Here's what you do:

1 C butter softened
1/2 C Shortening
2 C Casting Sugar
2 Eggs
1/2 C Molasses
4-1/2 C All-purpose Flour
4 Tsp Ground Ginger
2 Tsp Baking Soda
1-1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
1 Tsp Ground Cloves
1/4 Tsp Salt
3/4 C Turbinado Sugar

1: In a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. ( You may choose to use all butter or all shortening. Enlightened Cooking has a great post on butter vs. shortening) http://enlightenedcooking.blogspot.com/2008/04/butter-vs-shortening-in-baking.html


2. Combine the flour, ginger,baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a medium sized bowl. (I usually sift together my ingredients all though it is not necessary.) Gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.




3. Shape dough into 2-in. balls and roll in Turbinado Sugar. Place them 2-1/2 in. apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 400 for 13-15 mins. (Oven time will vary. My oven is old and the temp is always hotter than what it says.) Remove to wire racks to cool. 
4. ENJOY ^^


2 comments:

  1. Oooh... Yum!! I have holidays now so I'm going to try this out. Thanks for the recipe! I'm a new follower and just wanted to drop by and say hi :)

    Feel free to check out my blog & follow too!!

    -Riya (The Teen Book Guru)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY!!
    I am going to have to try this recipe!!
    Thank you for sharing!
    -martha :D

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a link to your blog in your comment and I will be sure to show you some blog love as well!

Little Hyuts is an award free zone!
BIG thanks to everyone who has nominated and awarded me in the past, but I just don't have the time to pass them on to other deserving bloggers.