Friday, September 7, 2012

Forsaken Blog Tour Stop!


~ ALL ABOUT THE AUTHOR ~

Kristen Day is a southern belle at heart with a crazy streak that desperately tries to escape at every opportunity.  She loves all things nostalgic, rustic, and quirky.  She’s been told she sees the world through rose-colored glasses, but she prefers to think of them as kaleidoscope glasses - swirling and morphing reality into something she can digest (who hasn't pretended those pasty lima beans were really kiwi strawberry jelly beans?). 
She is the author of the DAUGHTERS OF THE SEA trilogy, which includes FORSAKEN, AWAKEN (Oct 2012), and CHOSEN (Winter 2012).  She loves all books, but really enjoys writing young adult, paranormal romances.  She’s loved to write for as long as she can remember.  Her first published work was her poem RED in second grade (you guessed it - it was a poem about the color red - life altering, right?) that won her 5 gold stars and a spot in her elementary school's poetry book. That's when her addiction to the written word officially began.  She was the only kid in fifth grade that actually enjoyed diagramming sentences. Go ahead and laugh - its okay.
When she’s not writing she’s making jewelry, painting, feeding her addiction to sweet tea, watching the Discovery Channel, or going on random adventures in the mountains of North Carolina with her amazing husband. She was born in Boone, NC and graduated from Appalachian State University with a degree in Marketing in 2001. 


Title: Forsaken A Daughters Of The Sea Novel
Author: Kristen Day
Publisher: Self Published
Pages: 268

Once you've been touched by darkness, it never leaves you…
Abandoned by her parents as an infant; seventeen year old Hannah spent her childhood wading through countless foster families until being adopted by the Whitmans three years ago. Unfortunately, Atlanta’s high society wasn't quite ready for Hannah…or the strange events that plague her.
Chilling visions of murder, unexplained hallucinations, and a dark, mysterious guy who haunts her nightmares all culminate to set in motion a journey of self-discovery that will challenge everything she’s ever believed; not to mention her sanity. 
Sent to live at The House of Lorelei on Bald Head Island, NC for ‘kids like her’, Hannah quickly realizes things are not what they seem. Her fellow ‘disturbed’ teens are actually the descendants of mythical Sea Gods and Goddesses. And so is she. But when Finn, the ghost from her dreams, appears in the flesh; her nightmares become reality and her dark visions begin coming true. Inexplicably drawn to him, she can’t deny the dangerous hold he has on her heart. The deadly secrets he harbors will ultimately test her courage and push the boundaries of her love. 
She must decide if she is ready to embrace the ancient legend she is prophesied to be a part of. The fate of all the descendants will forever depend upon it.

~ MY REVIEW ~

Captivating and addictive... yes, that is exactly the way to describe this series! I am not a fan of mermaid stories or even those about sirens, so going into this book I was not sure what I was going to feel. I am happy to say that Forsaken was not at all what I was expecting. I was blown away by how much I enjoyed this book. It's premise is so much more than what I first perceived it to be. I was also relieved that mermaids play no part in this book. It is strictly mythology based and the author brings a fresh perspective to the gods and goddesses of the sea. Hannah's story quickly captured me and I was so excited to watch it unfold. 
Kristen Day has done a wonderful job creating a world that will pull readers in. Her writing style is fluid and not one page of this book felt forced. The characters each have their own unique attributes and personality making them stand out in their own way. Anastasia made an awesome main character. I liked the fact that instead of fearing her new life she embraced it and was happy for the chance to start over. Her and her roommates make a well integrated team. Phoebe really stood out to me. Her power to control sand is really neat. All the different affinities in this book were original and really added something special to the story. Instead of the main character getting all the cool 'powers' everyone at Lorelei is blessed with a gift. I liked that aspect of the book. Oh, and Finn! What a delightful heart throb. He is so full of mystery and I wouldn't want it written any other way! 
Forsaken will leave you eager for the next installment in this series. Things just start coming together towards the end and Anastasia is left with another daunting task. I can't wait to find out what happens! If you are a fan of mythology and fantasy you will love this book! 



4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your review!! Your specific comments really hit home for me because the decision to write this book was based on some of the things I was tired of reading in other YA adult books. I wanted to read about a heroine that was strong and capable; one that still had her weak moments, but could overcome them within her own heart - not by running to another character. I LOVE LOVE LOVE mythology, but I also am not fond of mermaids (they seem a litle too 'Disney' to me), so i wanted to make that distinction early on in the book. Anyway, I am so happy you liked it and I am so glad you participated in the blog tour! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I almost forgot! Awaken (DOS#2) will be released October 2nd! I'm also going to release the blurb and sneak peek excerpt very soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the Lovely blog award, you have a mighty interesting blog here :). Kisses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of this days I'll join a blog tour....

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a link to your blog in your comment and I will be sure to show you some blog love as well!

Little Hyuts is an award free zone!
BIG thanks to everyone who has nominated and awarded me in the past, but I just don't have the time to pass them on to other deserving bloggers.