Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Top 10 of 2014: Best Debut Novels of 2014

Day 3 of the Top 10 of 2014 Event! Hosted by Two Chicks On Books
Reading YA Rocks / Fiktshun /  Tales of a Ravenous Reader

I am always on the hunt for new authors! So, I get grabby hands for debuts, especially those in the YA genre. This year gave us some really great first-timers, although I still have quite a few left on my TBR, (can you say TBR clean-up challenge anyone?) So, here are my... 

Best Debut Novels of 2014
*In no particular order*

#1 The Miniaturist By Jessie Burton: Such an intriguing work of historical fiction, this is one of the few adult novels I read this year. I will definitely be looking for more by her.


#2 Rooms By Lauren Oliver: Although this is not Oliver's first time at bat, Rooms is her first step into the world of adult fiction.


#3 Dorothy Must Die By Danielle Paige: Fun, original, makes you want to go back to OZ... well maybe once the war is over...


#4 Say What You Will By Cammie McGovern: Cammie has previously written three adult fiction novels, Say What You Will is her first book for teens.


#5 Between By Megan Whitmer: A really great fantasy first for this indie author!


#6 A Little Something Different By Sandy Hall: Not only is Sandy Hall a debut author, but her book was the first published by Swoon Reads.


#7 The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August By Claire North: I LOVED this adult fiction sci-fi novel! Claire has a new novel coming out in February 2015.


#8 Hungry By H.A. Swain: This was one of my favorite dystopians this year. No eating food?! Crazy talk. 


#9 Queen of the Tearling By Erika Johansen: Fun Fact! This is going to be a movie starring Emma Watson!


#10 Control By Lydia Kang: If you like X-men, this story is right up your alley. Serious readers beware. This is purely a fun, take your mind off things type book.


I could probably throw a few more in here, but I'm really trying to follow the rules and stick to just ten... So, what debuts did you read and love this year? Leave me a comment and share your favorites! 

4 comments:

  1. A little something different was one of my favourite reads from this year, glad to find it made your list.
    Here's a link to my post:
    http://welcome-to-zeds-thoughts.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/day-3-top-10-villains-of-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird! I typed up a comment and it's gone! Maybe I published! Haha anyways, I'm going to have to look up most of these books and see if I'll want to read them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read just Dorothy Must Die from your list. I'd have to say my favorite Debut was Cruel Beauty. For my own post today, I messed up with it and I posted about Best Less Known Authors/Books, but then realized they are all Adult Titles, which fills the criteria.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I'm more leary of debuting authors cause I've read some not so great ones so I stick to what I know ; for now anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a link to your blog in your comment and I will be sure to show you some blog love as well!

Little Hyuts is an award free zone!
BIG thanks to everyone who has nominated and awarded me in the past, but I just don't have the time to pass them on to other deserving bloggers.